Monday, April 4, 2011

Good Intentions.....

Looking in the bed of my husbands truck I noticed it was rather..........messy. I decided I'd do him a favor and clean up his truck bed from the empty cups and bottles that littered the area.

As I moved about I saw a plastic bag that was tied and thrown up against his toolbox. The bag held some kind of carton in it. The bag was from Hobby Lobby and I could clearly read the words "Pilgrims Pride" on the carton so I knew it contained chicken liver leftover from his latest fishing expedition with my brother. I reached for the bag and as soon as I lifted it up the smell of death ran rampant in a cloud of the foulest air you can imagine. To make matters worse there were maggots all over the bottom of the bag, on the inside AND out.

I thought I was going to throw up in my mouth at the horrid smell emanating from that sack. I set the sack down on his toolbox and ran inside for a bag. There was no way I was going to carry that sack to the trash dump while the worms dropped here and there as I walked. It was bad enough watching the worms wriggle their way back into the safety of the bag and I knew I would have screamed if any one of those worms had touched me. I knew there was no way I could get the tied sack into the safety of my new garbage bag without getting something on me and I didn't want to chance it. I enlisted the help of a friend and together, fighting the urge to gag on the smell of death, we bagged the maggot filled sack. A few worms did not make it into the sack and I hate to think of where they wandered off to as I threw the "death sack" away.

My body is still cringing every time I think about those maggots in my husbands truck and I feel like little things are crawling all over me now. Although I started out with the best of intentions I doubt that I will ever attempt that again.........

No comments: